On this page, you will find quotes from organizations and/or associations that supports the bill. You will also find press releases.
QUOTES FROM ASSOCIATIONS / ORGANIZATIONS
“ Simply put, if taxation barriers aren’t addressed, we will see fewer and fewer family farms in Canada. We support Mr. Caron and his colleagues commitment to addressing these tax burdens that could cause significant administrative burden and cost (…).”
Ron Bonnett, President, Canadian Federation of Agriculture
“ Many small business owners are telling us that tax rules discourage them from passing on their firm to their children. Mr. Caron’s bill addresses this unfairness and will help small business owners ensure their firm remains locally owned, creating and protecting local jobs.”
- Dan Kelly, President, Canadian Federation of Independent Business
“C-274 will provide some degree of security to many of our members who have already started the process of passing on their business to one of their children. This is absurd. The current rules don’t in any way encourage keeping a business in the family. In our association, many convenience store owners who are well established in their community would like to sell to their children, but would have to pay more tax. It’s high time we changed the rules.”- Yves Servais, Executive Director, Association des marchands dépanneurs et épiciers du Québec.
" It would seem at the outset that the intent of Bill C-274 to eliminate the unfair taxation of a family business to a family member is a valid and worthwhile effort by MP Guy Caron of Rimouski, QC. This is especially important given that in today's business environment, many small business, farm and fish operators are looking to divest themselves of their their business to a family member or an unrelated buyer. "
- The Assiniboia Chamber of Commerce http://www.assiniboiachamber.ca/federal-advocacy
July 22, 2016: Guy Caron to tour Atlantic Canada to discuss Family Business Transfers: http://guycaron.npd.ca/guy-caron-to-tour-atlantic-canada-to-discuss-family-business-transfers
- August 5, 2016: Bill seeks to Ease Transfer Of Family Business: http://vocm.com/news/bill-seeks-to-ease-transfer-of-family-business/
- July 31, 2016: NDP MP To Present New Bill in Province This Week: http://vocm.com/news/ndp-mp-to-present-new-bill-in-province-this-week/
- July 27, 2016: Presentation on Private Member's Bill To Protect Family Owned Business: http://www.trurodaily.com/News/Local/2016-07-27/article-4600078/Presentation-on-Private-members%26rsquo%3B-Bill-to-protect-family-owned-business/1
- June 19, 2016: Future of the Family Farm: http://www.chrisd.ca/2016/06/19/future-family-farm-tax-generations-sell-canada-bill/#.V7SqmsL2aAg
- June 2, 2016: Proposal Would reduce cost when family buys business: http://www.producer.com/2016/06/proposal-would-reduce-cost-when-family-buys-business/
- May 25, 2016: CFA Supports Tax Changes To Maintain Family Farm Ownership: http://blackburnnews.com/agrimedia/agrimedia-news/2016/05/25/cfa-supports-tax-changes-maintain-family-farm-ownership/
- May 20, 2016: Proposed private members bill would give business owners incentitive to keep the company in the family : http://www.financialpost.com/m/wp/entrepreneur/blog.html?b=business.financialpost.com/entrepreneur/small-business/proposed-private-members-bill-would-give-business-owners-incentive-to-keep-the-company-in-the-family&pubdate=2016-05-26
- May 20, 2016: Private Member's Bill Aims to Ease Tax Burden on Family Farm Transfers: https://www.realagriculture.com/2016/05/private-members-bill-aims-to-ease-tax-burden-on-family-farm-transfers/
- May 17, 2016: National News: NDP wants to make it easier for family businesses to be passe on to future generations: https://www.northumberlandview.ca/?module=news&type=user&func=display&sid=41865
- May 17, 2016: CFIB Backs NDP Bill to allow small businesses to be passed on to next generation: http://www.cfib-fcei.ca/english/article/8382-cfib-backs-ndp-bill-to-allow-small-businesses-to-be-passed-on-to-next-generation.html